15.4.10

Love, etc. etc.

As a child, I remember always being in absolute awe of the fact that God could see what everyone on Earth is doing, comprehending it, interacting with us and all those basic concepts that fall under the term “omnipotence”. I constantly thought about it. I went about my simple little second grader routines, and I was in constant awe of God. I would say little prayers throughout the day just to thank Him for being there. I truly worshiped Him, and I felt close to Him. I was excited just to get to heaven so I could just praise God constantly. I had no complex theologies in my mind, I was not calloused by repetitive messages. I had a simple life, and a simple mind, and the way I saw it, God loved me, and no matter what, I would always have that, so nothing could ever get me down. Try to find a picture of me as a little kid where I don’t have a huge smile on my face.

Now I have been in church so long, I mostly dismiss statements about the love and power of God. Most of these little sayings like “God is love” “His grace is enough” are so true, but for whatever reason, I have thrown them out of my vocabulary. I mean, I know it is cliché to say, but the love of God is all I need. It’s so sad to me that when I hear that, I shrug it off. But it means so much. It is something that I am learning to hold very dearly to my heart. I could go on for pages about all that God has done for me, for everyone, but for the most part, we all have that knowledge. I don’t know what has happened, but we take for granted the love of our Father. He is always watching us. Just think about that for a moment. God watches over you.

One day, maybe I will be there. I will be at that place in my life where I think I will have everything I need on this Earth. I will be lying there with my wife some lazy Saturday morning, holding her, sharing my soul with her, or maybe just listening to her talk about her week. That is how I see true happiness. In that time, I will know that God gave me that moment as a gift. But what if I am someday drafted into some war I don’t want to fight, or I am being persecuted, or end up homeless? In that time, will I know God’s love is enough? I have faith that I will. Because the thing is, no matter what, whether I am in the ideal place in my life, or I am in exactly the place I don’t want to be, God’s love will give me a deep joy that will lift me up like it did when I was a child. That is what I want, a childish love for God. I know reading this may seem like a waste of time, and you will dismiss it because it sounds like I am just preaching to you, but just sit and think for a moment about how your Father loves you, and that He will hold you soul close to His, no matter what.

“At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, ‘I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.’” -Luke 10:21

No comments:

Post a Comment